On the 18th June 1847, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception came to Glasgow. Our foundation began when two French Sisters – Veronica Cordier and Adelaide Vaast – responded to a plea by Fr. Peter Forbes to come to Scotland.
In his letter of thanks Archbishop Winning declared himself delighted and grateful and certain that they would do tremendous work for God among the most needy. At the time the Council thought that the work would be only temporary, but in fact the Sisters have remained in Possilpark ever since, fully justifying the Archbishop's faith and our commitments have grown over the years until today. It is now our main house in Scotland and our centre for the Congregation worldwide.
In Ferbruary 1977 Bishop Renfrew enquired as to the possibility of the Congregation moving into Possilpark to undertake parish and social work in one of Glasgow's areas of greatest deprivation. The Council agreed to release three Sisters for the task as soon as premises could be found. In the footsteps of Sr Adelaide and Sr Veronica and many since their time., they were again choosing the poorest of Glasgow's poor
As Sisters, our life is based upon the Gospel, and as religious we live in community and follow the evangelical counsels of poverty, charistity and obedience; as members of the worldwide Third Order Regular of St. Francis, we seek to imitate St. Francis in his humility, his care for the poor and marginalised, educating the youth and his injunction to "preach the Gospel by deeds". Like him we have never been shy to roll up our sleeves, the more thankless the task the better.